Family Visa


Aged Parent Visa Subclass 804

This visa allows an aged parent of a settled Australian citizen, Australian permanent resident or eligible New Zealand citizen to stay in Australia.


Visa type



Cost of Application

From AUD6,490, can be paid in 2 instalments.



Applicants must meet the following requirements-

  • For applicants: Be sponsored by an Australian citizen or Australian Permanent resident or Eligible New Zealand citizen who is settled in Australia and is more than 18 years old
  • For applicants: Be old enough to receive the age pension in Australia
  • Meet the balance-of-family test (at least half of your children and step-children are eligible children OR there are more eligible children living in Australia than in any other single country)
  • Obtain assurance of support (this assures the Australian government that the applicant will not have to rely on government assistance after they enter Australia on this visa)
  • Meet the  health requirement
  • Meet the character requirement
  • Pay debts to the Australian Government if taken
  • Sign the Australian Values Statement
  • Not have had a visa cancelled or a previous application refused
  • Be in the best interests of any applicants under 18
  • For sponsors: be a suitable sponsor (see ‘suitable sponsor’ below)


Suitable Sponsor

To sponsor an applicant for this visa, you must be:


  • An Australian citizen or Australian Permanent resident or Eligible New Zealand citizen
  • Settled in Australia
  • 18+ years of age or older


Usually, you would sponsor your parents for this visa. You can sponsor more than one parent. 


Alternative sponsorship arrangements

You can sponsor a visa applicant on behalf of a child under 18 if you are:


  • An Australian citizen or Australian Permanent resident or an eligible New Zealand citizen, and
  • Settled in Australia, and
  • 18+ years of age or older


You must be:


  • The child’s cohabiting spouse, or 
  • The child's relative or guardian, or 
  • A relative or guardian of the child's cohabiting spouse


Or your community organisation can sponsor an applicant where:


  • There is a relationship between the organisation and the applicant's child
  • A senior representative of the organisation agrees to sponsor the applicant
  • The organisation is lawfully established in Australia
  • The organisation has been actively operating in Australia for at least one year
  • The organisation can meet its financial commitments

Duration of visa

The recipient of this visa can stay in Australia indefinitely.


Explore with us?

View Details
contact us